Alexander Peresvet, also spelled Peresviet (Russian: Александр Пересвет), was a Russian Orthodox monk who fought in a single combat with the Tatar champion Temir-murza (known in most Russian sources as Chelubey or Cheli-bey) at the opening of the Battle of Kulikovo (8 September 1380). The two men killed each other.
He is believed to have hailed from the Bryansk area and took the monastic habit at the Rostov Monastery of Saints Boris and Gleb. Later he moved to the Monastery of Pereslavl-Zalessky under the service of Dmitri Donskoi. He later moved to the Trinity Abbey where he became a follower of Sergius of Radonezh. Alexander and his friend Rodion Oslyabya joined Russian troops approaching to fight against Mamai invasion.
The battle of Kulikovo was opened by single combat between the two champions. The Russian champion was Alexander Peresvet. The champion of the Golden Horde was Temir-murza. The champions killed each other in the first run. According to a Russian legend, Peresvet did not fall from the saddle, while Temir-murza did.
- Pereswetoff-Morath, a bayor (Russo-Swedish nobility) family, claimed to be descendants of Peresvet.
- The Russian Peresvet battleship class, ships of which saw action in the Russo-Japanese War
- A Volga boat is named Alexander Peresvet
- The town of Peresvet near Moscow
- A fast train running between Moscow and St. Petersburg since 2003.
- 33rd Special purpose unit of Internal Troops
- Russian military laser ‘Peresvet’ named so after a 2018 'name that weapon' vote
In Russian Language
- Титов А. А. Предание о ростовских князьях. М., 1885
- Описание Свято-Димитриевского монастыря в г. Скопине. Издательство Свято-Димитриевского монастыря, 2000.
- Рязанские епархиальные ведомости. 1891, № 2, 3.
- Лошиц Ю. М. Дмитрий Донской., М., 1996
- Розанов Н. П. История церкви Рождества Пресвятые Богородицы на Старом Симонове в Москве. К её пятисотолетию (1370—1870). М., 1870
- Благословение преподобного Сергия. Под редакцией В.Силовьева. Изд.совет РПЦ, 2005 ISBN 5-94625-127-9
Information as of: 13.06.2020 10:39:58 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-by-sa-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.