The association's logo since February 2011
|Formation||29 April 1903|
DBU Copenhagen (Danish: DBU København) is the local governing body for association football and futsal in Copenhagen, Denmark. They are responsible for the governance and development of men's and women's football at all levels in the region. DBU Copenhagen is a member of the Union of Local Football Associations in Denmark (FLU) under the Danish Football Association (DBU) and National Olympic Committee and Sports Confederation of Denmark (DIF). The headquarters is at the Svanemølleanlægget at Østerbro after previously being located the national football stadium. Clubs situated in the municipalities of Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Gentofte, Tårnby and Dragør can be accepted as members of DBU Copenhagen. Due to historical reasons a number of older clubs from other municipalities are also member of the association. In 2015 the association consisted of 150 clubs and 39,160 members with the oldest Danish association football club Kjøbenhavns Boldklub (KB) being the largest club membership-wise only surpassed by Brøndbyernes Idrætsforening on a national level.
DBU Copenhagen publishes the magazine Fodboldmagasinet København (English: Footballmagazine Copenhagen). It has four annual issues and is published in 3,500 copies. The magazine was revived in January 2005 (first edition was released in week 6) after a couple of years without a members magazine or football magazine focusing on Copenhagen football.
Previously, the clubs based in the Copenhagen area were directly members of the national football association, but at a DBU general meeting in 1903, Jutland Football Association (JBU) and the dominating Copenhagen clubs agreed to change the association's bylaws, so that the Danish Football Association in practice would change their name to Københavns Boldspil-Union, while a new Danish Football Association was formed, transferring all assets and liabilities except for the right to publication of the laws for football and cricket including the cash holdings. The Danish Football Association, who had previously been an organization for Copenhagen, would now become a real national organization, while KBU would take over the football administration for Copenhagen. The 10 Copenhagen clubs, that were members of the association at that time, would become the first members of the new Copenhagen Football Association: Akademisk Boldklub, Kjøbenhavns Boldklub, Boldklubben af 1893, Boldklubben Frem, KFUMs Boldklub, Østerbros Boldklub, Boldklubben Athenae, Boldklubben Lydia, Boldklubben Olympia and Frederiksberg Boldklub. At the foundation on 29 April 1903, the association was named Kjøbenhavns Boldspil-Union (KBU), the spelling was changed in 1936 to Københavns Boldspil-Union (English: Copenhagen Football Association) and on 1 February 2011, the current name (DBU København) and logo was officially adopted as a direct result of the market review conducted by the Danish Football Association a few years before, while the previous name was kept as a secondary name.
In 1906, Fælledklubbernes Boldspil-Union (FBU) merged with Kjøbenhavns Boldspil-Union, when they realised that a cooperation was necessary with regard to the future plans for Fælledparken. The football associations in the surrounding areas, Amager Boldspil-Union (founded 1912), Nordre Birks Boldspil-Union (founded 1913), Valby Boldspil-Union (founded 1913) and Nørrebro Boldspil-Union (founded 1916), merged to form Københavns Forstadsklubbers Bold Union (KFBU) in 1916 and after intense negotiations, KFBU became a provisional member of KBU and ultimately in the period from 1921 to 1923 the clubs from Amager, Valby and Nørrebro associations became full members of KBU, while the clubs of Nordre Birk became members of Zealand Football Association (SBU).
As a consequence of the capital's increasing development and growth at the end of World War I, disagreement between Zealand Football Association (SBU) and KBU arose regarding the membership of clubs located at the border between the two football associations. The most general view was that clubs playing in the metropolitan area of Copenhagen should be members of KBU, while clubs in the northern part of the metropolitan area, Nordre Birk (Gentofte, Gladsaxe and Lyngby-Tårbæk) should be members of SBU. In 1945, a border agreement was signed, so KBU included clubs based in Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Gentofte, Tårnby and Dragør, while all other clubs would become members of SBU unless they had always been members of KBU. This border agreement was formalized in 1971. This resulted in some unclear results and as a direct consequence of Akademisk Boldklub being forced to switch their membership from KBU and SBU on 1 January 1962, the agreement was temporarily terminated by KBU effective at the end of 1965, even though SBU did not accept the termination.
Former og current logos:
As of 2016, the football association administers the local men's senior leagues at level 5 in the Danish football league system besides women's and youth football. The top league at the local senior men's level under the football association's administration is called Københavnsserien and was regarded as level 1 in Danish football between 1903 and 1913. Before the national "knockout" cup competition, DBU Pokalen, was introduced in 1954, the football association had its own regional cup competitions known as KBUs Pokalturnering, Sommerpokalturneringen and B-rækkens Pokalturnering, which were all contested in various periods between 1910 and 1953. Clubs playing at the lower leagues participate in qualification rounds for the first round proper of DBU Pokalen.