Eleazar Albin (fl. 1690 – c. 1742) was an English naturalist and watercolourist illustrator who wrote and illustrated a number of books including A Natural History of English Insects (1720), A Natural History of Birds (1731–38) and The Natural History of Spiders and other Curious Insects (1736). He has been described as one of the "great entomological book illustrators of the 18th century".
Nothing is known of Albin's early life, though he may have been German-born; he claimed to have been in Jamaica in 1701. In 1708 he is known to have been married and living in Piccadilly, London. According to autobiographical details in A Natural History of English Insects, Albin taught watercolour painting before being instructed in natural history by silk weaver and naturalist Joseph Dandridge.
A Natural History of Birds has coloured engravings by Albin and his daughter Elizabeth Albin. In that book Albin writes "As for the paintings, they are all done from life, with all the exactness I could either with my own hand, or my daughters, whom I have taught to draw and paint after the life".
- W. Derham & E. Albin. A natural history of English insects . Illustrated with a hundred copper plates, curiously engraven from the life: and (for those who desire it) exactly coloured by the author (London, William Innys, 1729).
- Albin, Eleazar; Derham, William (1731–1738). A natural history of birds : illustrated with a hundred and one copper plates, curiously engraven from the life (3 Volumes) . London: Printed for the author and sold by William Innys.
- E. Albin. A natural history of spiders, and other curious insects (London, Tilly, 1736).
- E. Albin. A Natural History of English Songbirds (1737). With coloured plates.
- R. North & E. Albin. The History of Esculent Fish " (1794).
- ^ a b Michael A. Salmon, Peter Marren, Basil Harley. The Aurelian Legacy (University of California Press, 2000) pp. 109-110.
- ^ "Illustrated by women" . University of Glasgow Special Collections. University of Glasgow. Archived from the original on 3 March 2016. Retrieved 3 May 2015.
- ^ Last records of Northern Bald Ibis in Europe
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Eleazar Albin.|
- Osborne, Peter (2004): "Albin, Eleazar (d. 1742?)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography , Oxford University Press.
Categories: English naturalists | 1680 births | 1742 deaths | English watercolourists | English illustrators | English non-fiction writers | German emigrants to England | British bird artists | English male non-fiction writers
Information as of: 29.06.2020 05:21:09 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-by-sa-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.