Hugh Hastings (soldier, died 1386)
Hugh Hastings III (died 1386/1387), Lord of Elsing, Brisley and Grimston, was an English soldier and noble who fought in the Hundred Years' War.
Hugh III was the eldest son of Hugh Hastings II and Margery de Everingham. He was knighted by John of Gaunt on the Great Chevauchée to France in 1373. He bore the same arms as his grandfather, Hugh Hastings I: those of Hastings with a label, quartered with those of Foliot. He served in the English expeditions to Brittany in 1378 and 1379. He travelled to throughout the eastern Mediterranean, visiting Jerusalem and Rhodes. According to Robert de Fishlake, who accompanied him, he left an escutcheon of his arms everywhere he stayed. He took part in the English invasion of Scotland in 1385.
In 1386, he gave evidence in the case of Scrope v Grosvenor, a famous heraldric law dispute. His son Edward would later be involved in his own heraldic law dispute with Lord Reginald Grey over the use of the undifferenced Hastings arms, Grey v Hastings. In 1386, Hugh also took part in the expedition with John of Gaunt to Castile. He distinguished himself at the siege of Brest on the way to Spain. He was killed in Spain.
Hugh married Anne, daughter of Edward Despenser, Lord of Glamorgan and Morgannwg and Elizabeth Deburghersh; they are known to have had the following issue:
- Hugh Hastings (died 1396), married Constance Blount, without issue.
- Edward Hastings (died 1438), married firstly Muriel Dinham, had issue, married secondly Margery Clifton, no further issue.
- ^ a b c d George Edward Cokayne, Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Vol. VI, 2nd edition. (London, 1926), p. 355.
- ^ a b c Maurice H. Keen, "English Military Experience and the Court of Chivalry: the Case of Grey v. Hastings" , in Guerre et société en France, en Angleterre et en Bourgogne xive-xve siècle (Lille: Publications de l'Institut de recherches historiques du Septentrion, 1991).
Categories: 1380s deaths | Hastings family
Information as of:
25.07.2020 07:49:35 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-by-sa-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.