Kush (song)(Redirected from Kush_(Dr._Dre_song))
|Single by Dr. Dre featuring Snoop Dogg and Akon|
|from the album Detox|
|Released||November 18, 2010|
|Dr. Dre singles chronology|
|Snoop Dogg singles chronology|
|Akon singles chronology|
"Kush" is a single by American rapper Dr. Dre, featuring vocals by Snoop Dogg and Akon. It was released via Digital download on November 18, 2010. The song was produced by DJ Khalil and mixed by Dr. Dre, with additional keys by Daniel "Danny Keyz" Tannenbaum. The song has additional vocals by Sly "Pyper" Jordan, Kobe Honeycutt and Blackthoven.
- 1 Background
- 2 Composition
- 3 Music video
- 4 Remixes
- 5 Track listing
- 6 Charts
- 7 Release history
- 8 References
- 9 External links
On November 16, 2010 an unfinished version of the song leaked onto the Internet. On the same day, Dr. Dre spoke on Radio Big Boy regarding the status of his album and the leaked song:
"I see a finish line right now, I'm wrapping it up, I need about two or three more songs and hopefully I will start the mixing process at the end of next month and from that point I am about 30 days out, so I'm excited about it." "Kush got leaked, it was a version of it that got leaked that I wasn't really happy about, so we are gonna go in push it and put it out because everyone seems to like it. Y'know I just thought, like, the content it's about weed smoking and I don't want people to think that's what my album is about, this is actually the only song with that type of content in it."
The song was originally going to be the only one from his upcoming studio album that had a smoker type of subject matter, but on September 21, 2011, Dre tweeted that both "I Need a Doctor" and "Kush" would not make the final cut of the album.
"Kush" took three to four months to complete due to the numerous production stages that it eventually went through. The genesis of song came when Dr. Dre's request for a single prompted producer DJ Khalil to pick out an archived vocal sample he had previously made of songwriter collaborator Kobe Honeycutt that he felt would be perfect to build a new Dre track around. Khalil told HitQuarters that he began with the sample of Honeycutt saying "Hold up, wait a minute, let me put some kush up in it", which he looped in Reason, and the drums, which he tried to make sound "pulsating and clubby". Keyboard player Danny Keyz then added a synth which Khalil then filtered and washed out with a reverb. To this basic track they started adding hook parts and different vocals with the aim of giving the song a constantly evolving sound, but at the same time Khalil was mindful to keep the production as open and spare as possible.
Joseph Kahn directed the music video for the song. The music video was shot November 18, 2010 in Downtown LA. 50 Cent, E-40, Roccett, The Menace and Glasses Malone were present for the shooting of the video, but do not make cameo appearances. DJ Khalil, producer of the song, makes a cameo appearance throwing a Beats By Dr. Dre headphone towards the camera in a freeze frame shot. December 10, 2010 marked the video's release on Vevo. The video, directed by Joseph Kahn, begins as Dre is seated in a sleek, black Lamborghini, attempting to flick a Zippo lighter. Once Dr. Dre ignites it, the beat drops, and he exits the car. Dre approaches the club in a setting similar to "The Next Episode", one of his past hits. But the festivities around him are ice cold; the club patrons are statue-like, frozen in the parking lot and inside, in mid groove. Snoop Dogg kicks things off on the second verse, and he is surrounded by a bevy of frozen women. They're smiling, drinks are pouring, but they're also statues compared to the rapper. As Dre makes his way into the club and to the bar, however, the party livens up. Dre pulls out his lighter, engraved with the song's title, and holds it to the sprinklers overhead, setting them off. As water rains down on the partygoers, they come back to life, gyrating to the thumping track's production. Later, Dre and Snoop leave the club, and Dre drives off into the night on an empty highway, surrounded by the streaking lights of cars that are no longer there. Akon makes appearances periodically while singing the hook. He appears to be in a private jet with money frozen in mid-air, as well as women seemingly dancing, though they too aren't moving.
On December 2, 2010, the official remix of the song was released featuring Game, Snoop Dogg & Akon. There are two remixes, both containing different verses from Game. Jay Rock has released a freestyle to the track. Gilbere Forte also released a Freestyle Version of this song. Slim da Mobster has freestyled over the beat. Mike G of OFWGKTA released 707 over the instrumental. Dr. Dre, along with Akon and Snoop Dogg, performed this song at the Grammy Interscope Party along with "The Next Episode", "Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang", "Gin and Juice" and "Still D.R.E.".
- Digital download
|1.||"Kush" (featuring Snoop Dogg and Akon)||K. Rahman, A. Young, A. Thiam, A. Johson D. Tannenbaum, A. Ransom, M. Jones III, B. Honeycutt||DJ Khalil||3:55|
- CD single
|1.||"Kush" (featuring Snoop Dogg and Akon)||K. Rahman, A. Young, A. Thiam, A. Johson D. Tannenbaum, A. Ransom, M. Jones III, B. Honeycutt||DJ Khalil||3:58|
|2.||"Kush" (Instrumental)||DJ Khalil||3:55|
|Brazilian Singles Chart (ABPD)||26|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||33|
|Irish Singles Chart||112|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||62|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||57|
|US Billboard Hot 100||34|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||43|
|US Billboard Rap Songs||11|
|United States||November 18, 2010||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||November 21, 2010|
|Rhythmid Radio||November 23, 2010||Radio play|
|Urban Radio||December 7, 2010|
- ^ "Kush (feat. Snoop Dogg & Akon) – Single by Dr. Dre – Download Kush (feat. Snoop Dogg & Akon) – Single on iTunes" . Itunes.apple.com. 2010-11-18. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ a b Kuperstein, Slava (2010-11-13). "Dr. Dre's First Single To Feature Snoop Dogg, Akon?" . Hiphopdx.com. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ a b "Dr. Dre ft Snoop Dogg, Akon & Sly "Kush"" . Aftermath Music. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- ^ "Listen to "Kush" feat. Snoop Dogg and Akon" . Dr. Dre. Archived from the original on 2011-05-12. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- ^ "Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg Shoot 'Kush' Video" . Rap-Up.com. 2010-11-18. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ a b c d e "Interview With DJ Khalil" . HitQuarters. May 9, 2011. Retrieved May 24, 2011.
- ^ "Dr.Dre Drops First Single From Detox: Kush Ft Snoop Dogg x Akon [Download" . The Epic Network. Archived from the original on 2010-11-24. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- ^ "Dr. Dre f. Snoop Dogg & Akon – Kush | New Hip Hop Music & All The New Rap Songs 2010" . HipHopDX. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- ^ "Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg Shoot 'Kush' Video" . Rap-Up.com. 2010-11-18. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ "Dr. Dre – Kush ft. Snoop Dogg, Akon (Exclusive Dr. Dre Kush behind the scenes with 50cent)" . YouTube. 2010-11-23. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ "Dr. Dre – Kush ft. Snoop Dogg, Akon" . YouTube. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ "Dr. Dre f. Game, Snoop Dogg & Akon – Kush Rmx | New Hip Hop Music & All The New Rap Songs 2010" . HipHopDX. 2010-12-02. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ Aftermathmusic.com. "Dr. Dre KUSH (ft Snoop Dogg & Akon)" . Aftermathmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ "Jay Rock Leaks 'Kush' Freestyle [Song] | Jay Rock" . Blog.jayrock.com. 2010-11-17. Archived from the original on 2011-03-14. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ ""Kush Remix" Dr. Dre Feat Slim The Mobster, Snoop Dogg And Akon" . YouTube. 2010-12-10. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
- ^ http://www.discogs.com/Dr-Dre-Kush/release/2662527
- ^ http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/23790/20110121-0000/Issue1083.pdf
- ^ "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- ^ http://www.chartsinfrance.net/Dr-Dre/Kush-s19294.html
- ^ "Swisscharts.com – Dr. Dre feat. Akon & Snoop Dogg – Kush" . Swiss Singles Chart.
- ^ "Official Singles Chart Top 100" . Official Charts Company.
- ^ "Urban/UAC Future Releases | R&B, Hip Hop, Release Schedule and Street Dates |" . Allaccess.com. Retrieved 2011-04-20.
Categories: 2010 singles | Songs about cannabis | Dr. Dre songs | Snoop Dogg songs | Akon songs | Interscope Records singles | Songs written by Dr. Dre | Songs written by Snoop Dogg | Songs written by Akon | Aftermath Entertainment singles | Music videos directed by Joseph Kahn | Song recordings produced by DJ Khalil | Songs written by DJ Khalil | 2010 songs
Source: Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kush (song) (Authors [History]) License : CC-by-sa-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Information as of: 20.11.2019 11:44:40 CET - Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.