The Shanmen of Manao Temple.
|Location||Xihu District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang|
Manao Temple was first established in 946, during the Later Jin dynasty (936–947). In 1065, it was officially called "Manao Temple". It was named for its location in the Manao Slope (Chinese: 玛瑙坡). In 1152, in the Southern Song dynasty (1127–1279), the temple relocated to the current location. During the region of Qianlong Emperor (1736–1795) of the Qing dynasty (1644–1911), he visited the temple three times. Manao Temple was restored in the Tongzhi period (1862–1874).
The present temple was completed in 1921 by abbot Qingjie (Chinese: 清杰). Along the central axis of the temple stand three buildings including the Shanmen, Mahavira Hall and Rear Hall. Subsidiary structures were built on both sides of the central axis including wing-room, dining room and bedroom.
Categories: Buddhist temples in Hangzhou | Buildings and structures in Hangzhou | Tourist attractions in Hangzhou | 20th-century establishments in China | 20th-century Buddhist temples | Religious buildings and structures completed in 1152