Nowy Dwór Gdański
Preserved old houses at Sikorskiego Street
Coat of arms
|County||Nowy Dwór Gdański County|
|Gmina||Gmina Nowy Dwór Gdański|
|• Total||5.06 km2 (1.95 sq mi)|
|• Density||2,000/km2 (5,200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Nowy Dwór Gdański (Polish: [ˈnɔvɨ dvur ˈɡdaj̃skʲi]; German: Tiegenhof) is a town in Poland on the Tuja river in the Żuławy Wiślane region, capital of Nowy Dwór Gdański County, located in Pomeranian Voivodeship, with 10,171 inhabitants (2012).
The settlement was established in 1570. Initially owned by the Loitz family, it was later governed by the Wejher and Sobieski noble families, including King of Poland John III Sobieski. Administratively it was part of the Malbork Voivodeship within the Polish Crown. As a result of the First Partition of Poland in 1772 it was annexed by the German state of Prussia. In 1920 it became part of the Free City of Danzig (Gdańsk).
On September 1, 1939, the day Germany invaded Poland, causing World War II, the Germans murdered the local Polish customs inspector. The town was then annexed by Nazi Germany. During the war, a subcamp of the Stutthof concentration camp was operated by the Germans in the town. One of the places where the Germans used the forced labour of Stutthof prisoners was the train station, where there is now a memorial plaque. After the defeat of Nazi Germany in the war, in 1945, the town was placed under Polish administration. The town's native populace was displaced.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nowy Dwór Gdański.|
Categories: Cities and towns in Pomeranian Voivodeship | Nowy Dwór Gdański County | 1570 establishments in the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth | Populated places established in 1570 | Pomeranian geography stubs