Qiqqa is a PDF research management tool and brainstorming tool
|Initial release||April 2010|
Qiqqa v79 / September 2016
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Type||Reference management software|
Qiqqa (pronounced "Quicker") is a freeware and freemium reference management software that allows researchers to work with thousands of PDFs. It combines PDF reference management tools, a citation manager, and a mind map brainstorming tool. It integrates with Microsoft Word XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010 and BibTeX/LaTeX to automatically produce citations and bibliographies in thousands of styles.
The development of Qiqqa began in Cambridge, UK, in December 2009. A public alpha was released in April 2010, offering PDF management and brainstorming capabilities. Subsequent releases have seen the incorporation of the Web Library, OCR, integration with BibTeX and other reference managers, and the use of natural language processing (NLP) techniques to guide researchers in their reading.
In 2011 Qiqqa won both the University of Cambridge CUE  and CUTEC, and the Cambridge Wireless Discovering Start-Ups competitions. Qiqqa was an award winner in the 2012 Santander Universities Entrepreneurship Awards.
A 15-minute interview on AffinityDAB radio summarises the history of Qiqqa.
Qiqqa does not seem to have attracted a large user base, compared to other recent reference management programs developed from 2006 to date.
- ^ Business Weekly (2011-06-07). "CUE finalist Qiqqa picks up pace" . Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- ^ Lautaro Vargas; Cambridge Business Media (2010-12-15). "Qiqqa provides researchers with fast track to success" . Retrieved 2010-12-15.
- ^ Julie Swierczek, McKillop Library, Salve Regina University (2011-02-11). "Drowning in information" . Retrieved 2011-02-23.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- ^ Joanna Dawson (2010-10-25). "Will Qiqqa make me Smarta?" . Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- ^ Laura James (2010-06-19). "The Arcadia Project:A Wealth of Reference Management" . Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- ^ Business Weekly (2011-06-09). "Journey just beginning for Cambridge University entrepreneurs" . Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ Ben Fountain, Cabume (2011-06-14). "Cambridge startups getting on with the job off radar" . Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ Business Weekly (2011-06-09). "Cambridge student entrepreneur books passage to Silicon Valley" . Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- ^ Cambridge Wireless (2011-12-05). "Cambridge Wireless Discovering Start-Ups 2011 Competition" . Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- ^ Santander (2012-07-06). "Santander announces new internship programme for small businesses" . Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- ^ Chris Berrow (2011-12-18). "AffinityDAB - Discovering Start-Ups 2011" . Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- ^ "Google Trends: Compare Citavi, Docear, Mendeley, Qiqqa, Zotero - Worldwide - Past five years" .