Syringogaster is a genus of small (4 to 6 mm) ant-mimicking flies with a petiolate abdomen, a long prothorax, a swollen and spiny hind femur, and reduced head size and large eyes. There are 20 described extant species and two species known from Miocene amber from the Dominican Republic. It is the only genus in the family Syringogastridae.
The genus Syringogaster are found in tropical areas of the Neotropical region, with exception of the Antilles. Syringogastridae inhabit tropical forests.
Very little is known about the biology of Syringogastridae, and no larvae are known.
The descriptor Ezra Townsend Cresson placed his new genus in the family Psilidae 
then in 1969 Angelo Pires do Prado erected a new family (Syringogastridae) to contain the genus.
- S. amazonensis Prado, 1969
- S. apiculata Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. atricalyx Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. brachypecta Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. brunnea Cresson, 1912:
- S. brunneina Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. carioca Prado, 1969
- S. craigi Grimaldi, 2009 (Fossil species)
- S. cressoni Prado, 1969
- S. dactylopleura Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. figurata Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. lanei Prado, 1969
- S. lopesi Prado, 1969
- S. miocenecus Grimaldi, 2009 (Fossil species)
- S. nigrithorax Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. palenque Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. papaveroi Prado, 1969
- S. plesioterga Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. rufa Cresson, 1912
- S. sharkeyi Marshall & Buck, 2009
- S. subnearctica Feijen,1989
- S. tenuipes Marshall & Buck, 2009
- ^ a b c S.A. Marshall; M. Buck; J.H. Skevington & D. Grimaldi (2007). "A revision of the family Syringogastridae (Diptera: Diopsoidea)" (PDF). Zootaxa. Auckland, New Zealand: Magnolia Press. 1996: 1–80.
- ^ Cresson, E. T. Jr. 1912. Descriptions of several new neotropical acalyptrate Diptera. Entomol. News. 23:389-396..
- ^ Prado, A. P. do. 1969. Syringogastridae, uma nova familia de dipteros Acalyptratae, com a descricao de seis especies novas do genero Syringogaster Cresson. Studia Ent. (n.s.) 12:1-32.
Categories: Diopsoidea genera | Tanypezoidea stubs
Information as of:
13.06.2021 06:31:48 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-BY-SA-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.