The Sounds of the World's Languages
The Sounds of the World's Languages, sometimes abbreviated SOWL, is a 1996 book by Peter Ladefoged and Ian Maddieson which documents a global survey of the sound patterns of natural languages. Drawing from the authors' own fieldwork and experiments as well as existing literature, it provides an articulatory and acoustic description of vowels and consonants from more than 300 languages. It is a prominent reference work in the field of phonetics.
Following discussions of the book's aim and underlying frameworks, the description of sounds is divided into chapters on stops, nasals and nasalized consonants, fricatives, laterals, rhotics, clicks, vowels, and multiple articulatory gestures, which are then followed by a discussion of the data's phonological implications.
- ^ Kaye, Alan S. (2006). "An interview with Peter Ladefoged". Journal of the International Phonetic Association. 36 (2): 137–144. doi:10.1017/S0025100306002519 .
- ^ Nathan, Geoffrey S. (1998). "The sounds of the world's languages. By Peter Ladefoged and Ian Maddieson". Language. 74 (2): 374–376. doi:10.1353/lan.1998.0168 . JSTOR 417875 .
- ^ Rischel, Jørgen (1998). "Review: The Sounds of the World's Languages – Peter Ladefoged and Ian Maddieson". Journal of Phonetics. 26 (4): 411–421. doi:10.1006/jpho.1998.0083 .
- ^ Davis, Katherine (1998). "Peter Ladefoged & Ian Maddieson, The sounds of the world's languages". Journal of Linguistics. 34 (1): 261–264. doi:10.1017/S0022226797276899 .
- ^ Maddieson, Ian (2007). "Peter Ladefoged". Language. 83 (1): 181–188. doi:10.1353/lan.2007.0030 . JSTOR 4490341 .
- ^ Fox, Margalit (8 February 2006). "Peter Ladefoged, 80, Linguist Who Was Immersed in Speech, Is Dead" . The New York Times. Retrieved 6 July 2020.
- ^ Nelson, Valerie J. (28 January 2006). "Peter Ladefoged, 80; Documented Endangered Languages" . Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 6 July 2020.
- ^ Keating, Patricia A. (5 November 2012). "Ladefoged, Peter". In Chapelle, Carol A. (ed.). The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics. Wiley. doi:10.1002/9781405198431.wbeal0594 .
Categories: 1996 non-fiction books | Linguistics books | Phonetics works | Phonology works | Wiley-Blackwell books | Linguistics book stubs
Information as of:
20.06.2021 03:51:01 CEST
Source: Wikipedia (Authors [History]) License : CC-BY-SA-3.0
Changes: All pictures and most design elements which are related to those, were removed. Some Icons were replaced by FontAwesome-Icons. Some templates were removed (like “article needs expansion) or assigned (like “hatnotes”). CSS classes were either removed or harmonized.
Wikipedia specific links which do not lead to an article or category (like “Redlinks”, “links to the edit page”, “links to portals”) were removed. Every external link has an additional FontAwesome-Icon. Beside some small changes of design, media-container, maps, navigation-boxes, spoken versions and Geo-microformats were removed.
Please note: Because the given content is automatically taken from Wikipedia at the given point of time, a manual verification was and is not possible. Therefore LinkFang.org does not guarantee the accuracy and actuality of the acquired content. If there is an Information which is wrong at the moment or has an inaccurate display please feel free to contact us: email.