|New Testament manuscript|
Illumination representing Mark the Evangelist
|Now at||Russian National Library|
|Size||33 by 36.5 cm|
Trebizond Gospel, ℓ 243 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), is a Byzantine illuminated manuscript with the text of Gospel Lectionary, dating palaeographically to the 11th century with 15 parchment leaves (33 by 36.5 cm) from the 10th century or earlier.
The book was richly decorated with gold and jewels by the Trapezuntine Emperor Andronicus. In 1858, the Trebizond Gospel was presented by the Orthodox Metropolitan of Trebizond to the Emperor Alexander II of Russia, who donated it to the Russian National Library, where is held to the present day (Codex Gr. 21, 21a).
The manuscript is not cited in the critical editions of the Greek New Testament (UBS3), because of its small textual value.
Categories: Byzantine Empire stubs | Illuminated manuscript stubs | Gospel Books | Empire of Trebizond | Tourist attractions in Saint Petersburg | History of Trabzon | Greek New Testament lectionaries | National Library of Russia collection | 10th-century illuminated manuscripts | Illuminated biblical manuscripts | Byzantine illuminated manuscripts