Walter II of Avesnes
(Redirected from Walter_of_Avesnes)
Walter II of Avesnes (b. 1170 – d.1244) was lord of Avesnes, Leuze, of Condé and Guise, and through his marriage to Margaret of Blois, he became Count of Blois and of Chartres. He was the son of James of Avesnes, and Adèle, lady of Guise.
Walter fought alongside Ferdinand, Count of Flanders at the Battle of Bouvines in 1214, then left to fight in the Holy Land. Taken prisoner, he was ransomed by the Knights Templar and helped construct the Pilgrim Castle, in 1218, donating 1,000 saracen bezants towards its construction.
- Theobald, died young
- Mary, Countess of Blois († 1241), married Hugh I, Count of Blois, (1196 † 1248).
- Isabelle, married John, lord of Oisy and Montreuil
- ^ (FR)Henri Platelle, Présence de l'au-delà: une vision médiévale du monde, (Presses Universitaires du Septentrion, 2004), 296.
- ^ F. Raymond, Histoire populaire illustrée de la Champagne du Barrois et de la Brie, Vol. I, (Librairie Historique des Provinces, 1903), 181.
- ^ Hugh Kennedy, Crusader Castles, (Cambridge University Press, 2001), 124-125.
- ^ Jaroslav Folda, Crusader Art in the Holy Land, From the Third Crusade to the Fall of Acre, (Cambridge University Press, 2005), 111.
- ^ (FR)Henri Platelle, Présence de l'au-delà: une vision médiévale du monde, 284.